Có khi nào các bạn bị “cứng họng” khi gặp phải câu hỏi “hãy miêu tả bạn thân của bạn” hay những câu tương tự chưa?Trong phần thi speaking các bạn rất hay gặp phải những câu hỏi liên quan đến miêu tả 1 ai đó, về tính cách hay cảm xúc, nhiều bạn không biết phải dùng từ nào cho thích hợp, không biết phải tả như thế nào, v.v. nên hôm nay cô chia sẻ bài viết với ví dụ và giải thích song ngữ kèm theo cho các bạn đây. Nhớ học kĩ nha !
- Absent-minded: are very forgetful because they are too busy thinking about other things. (đãng trí, hay quên)
Ex: And it was cut up so badly that even my aunt, absent-minded as she sometimes is, couldn’t have put it in the washer or hung it on the line without noticing that it was damaged.
- Adventurous: are daring and always ready to take risks. (thích phiêu lưu, mạo hiểm)
Ex: However, the more you play there the more confident and adventurous you become.
- Amusing: are very funny and make you laugh. (hài hước, vui nhộn)
Ex: The barefoot bass player was most entertaining as he hammed it up with his amusing stage antics.
- Bashful: are shy and feel uncomfortable in social situations. (hay ngại ngùng, không giỏi giao tiếp)
Ex: If you go and you’re kind of acting bashful and you don’t belong, I think people can spot that on you.
- Boastful: like to say how good they are at something, they are showing off. (hay ra vẻ, hay khoác lác, chảnh)
Ex: On the contrast, he had stopped acting arrogant and boastful, and was even becoming shy and modest.
- Bright: are very clever and learn things quickly. (thông minh, sáng dạ)
Ex: He’s a bright, well-organized guy.
- Calm: don’t get excited or nervous about things. ( giữ bình tĩnh)
Ex: Plato once observed that he who is of calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age.
- Cheeky: are rude and disrespectful, especially towards people like parents and teachers. (thô lỗ, hỗn hào)
Ex: They have a tremendous sense of perspective and although they may be a bit cheeky with it, they never do arrogance.
- Conceited: have a very high opinion of themselves. (coi trọng bản thân, tự phụ)
Ex: He is not alone in saying that some American lawyers and accountants are conceited and arrogant about what they think is a superior system.
- Confident: are sure of themselves and their abilities. (tự tin)
Ex: She was a confident, outgoing girl
- Creative: find it easy to produce new and original ideas and things. (sáng tạo)
Ex: Abraham Maslow stated that only the flexibly creative person can really manage the future.
- Domineering: are always trying to control others without worrying or caring about how they feel, bossy but in nasty way. (hách dịch, độc đoán)
Ex: This woman’s strong character reminded Roger of the domineering women found in literature.
- Down-to-earth: are very practical and honest. (người thực tế, không thích mơ mộng viễn vông)
Ex: David’s very arty and a bit of a dreamer – Ruth’s much more down-to-earth. I like her down-to-earth approach to problem-solving.
- Emotional: have strong feelings and are easily moved by things. (dễ xúc động)
Ex: People generally think that women are more emotional than men, but in my experience that often isn’t the case.
- Enthusiastic: are very interested and excited about something and this shows in the way they talk or behave, keen on somethings. (nhiệt tình, hăng hái, sốt sắng)
Ex: As an enthusiastic person, I like to create an atmosphere of excitement and thrill wherever I go.
- Gullible: are easily tricked and tend to believe everything they are told, NAIVE. (ngây thơ, chất phát)
Ex: Now that you are the owner of so much wealth, you’ve got to quit being gullible.
- Hospitable: are always more than friendly and welcoming towards guests. (hiếu khách)
Ex: I hear that despite a lot of poverty, the people are very welcoming and hospitable.
- Impatient: hate having to wait for things and are not very tolerant of other people’s weaknesses, etc. (người không có kiên nhẫn, dễ nổi nóng)
Ex: When the girl yanked the boy’s hair, his impatient nature caused him to punch her in the face instead of walking away from the incident.
- Malicious: deliberately try to hurt or harm others. MEAN (xấu tính, ác)
Ex: When the woman was fired, she accused the manager of being malicious towards her.
- Narrow-minded: blinkerd, bigotted, find it hard to accept or understand new or different ideas. (cổ hủ, bảo thủ)
Ex: She is narrow-minded towards new things or things she does not understand.
- Aggressive: are always ready to quarrel or attack (hung hãn, hung hăng)
Ex: Unless you are allowed to be a bit aggressive and competitive then you stand no chance of been able to get on in life.
- Articulate: clear, distinct, are able to express clearly and effectively their thoughts and feelings (người dẻo miệng, ăn nói lưu loát)
Ex: Our car dealership is seeking an articulate salesperson to help unload inventory.
- Broad-minded: are very tolerant of other people’s opinions even if very different from their own. Tolerant, liberal ( có tư tưởng thoải mái, phóng khoáng)
Ex: If you describe someone as broad-minded, you approve of them because they are willing to accept types of behavior which other people consider immoral.
- Charismatic: have very strong personal charm and the power to attract others. (lôi cuốn, cuốn hút)
Ex: Because the traveling salesman was very charismatic, he could always persuade people to purchase his goods.
- Competitive: hate to lose at anything and enjoying competition. (hay cạnh tranh, ganh đua)
Ex: When you rely on the team too much, it may reduce your individual competitive instincts.
- Considerate: are very aware of the wishes, needs of feelings of others. Tactful, mindful (thận trọng, quan tâm đến người khác)
Ex: She’s considerate of your needs and respects the terms of your contract.
- High-strung: are usually very nervous and are easily upset or excited. (hay căng thẳng, nhạy cảm)
Ex: She’s as good-natured as anybody I ever saw but she’s high-strung, too; she’s got a temper.
- Humble: have a very low opinion of themselves and high opinion of others, small, put down, let down.(hay nhún nhường)
Ex: In order for a team to win, I think guys have to humble themselves enough to expose their weaknesses to their teammates.
- Modest: tend to hide their abilities or have a lower opinion of themselves than is deserved. (khiêm tốn, khiêm nhường)
Ex: He is a quiet, unassuming lad and so modest about his many talents.
- Obstinate: refuse to change their opinion or behavior in spite of attempts to persuade them to do something else or to see another point of view. Stubborn (cứng đầu)
Ex: I dealt with her as I dealt with my own mother, who could also be obstinate and single-minded, I did my best to avoid telling Kay things I knew she did not want to hear.
- Pompous: take themselves rather too seriously and think they are very important, grand, pathetic, and magnificent. (kiêu ngạo, ảo tưởng sức mạng)
Ex: They look a little deeper into the matter without being pompous, arrogant or patronising.
- Rash: are very impulsive and don’t think enough about the consequences of their actions not careful, eager, half-baked, impulsive.(liều lĩnh, không suy nghĩ)
Ex: Look, if she did go and do something rash, we both know the jerk deserved it.
- Self-centered: are very selfish and only interested in themselves., egocentric (ích kỉ, chỉ nghĩ đến mình)
Ex: He said she was spoiled and very self-centered and it drove him crazy.
- Self-confident: are usually sure of their own ability to do things. (tự tin vào bản thân)
Ex: Even for a man as famously calm and self-confident as Obama, the strain was evident
- Sensible: are people with a lot of common sense. Conscious, serious, adequate, logical, aware. (có ý thức)
Ex: Did they put a face on their activism, so people could see that the person behind the keyboard was a normal, likable, and downright sensible person?
- Strong-willed: know what they want and usually get it (có ý chí)
Ex: Though she was a strong-willed woman, this would certainly push her abilities and her emotions to the limits of possible human endurance.
- Versatile: have lots of different (varied) skills. Universal, many-sided, all-purpose, comprehensive. (đa tài, đa nghệ)
Ex: His genius was unusually rich and versatile; his artistic conscience always alert and sober.
- Well-mannered: are polite people. (người lịch sự, lịch thiệp)
Ex: A well-mannered gentleman always allows others first.
- Witty: using words in a clever and amusing way (humorous). (dí dỏm, sắc sảo)
Ex: But he is always ingenious, often witty, and nobody has carried farther than the harmony of diction, sometimes marred by an affectation of symmetry and an excessive use of antithesis.
- Courageous: are very brave and not afraid to do dangerous things. BRAVE, MANLY, GALLANT. (quả cảm, dũng cảm)
Ex: Stanton had a violent temper and a sharp tongue, but he was courageous, energetic, thoroughly honest and a genuine patriot.
- Cocky: are pleased with themselves and their qualities, position, etc. (tự mãn)
Ex: I spoke to him last night to wish him well, and he was confident without being cocky about it, which is always good.
- Conscientious: are careful to do any work. Careful; diligent (hết lòng, tận tâm)
Ex: He was a hard and conscientious worker and became widely known for his ability in debate.
- Impressionable: are easily influenced by other people and often too ready to admire them. Suggestible, plastic. (dễ gây ấn tượng, dễ bị ảnh hưởng)
Ex: According to research, the terrorist organization seeks out impressionable young minds when recruiting members.
- Level-headed: are calm and sensible when making judgements. Balanced, intelligent, sensible, reasonable. (sử xự hợp tình, hợp lý)
Ex: You pride yourself on being calm and level-headed, and here you are crying over the consequences of something you don’t even know for sure is real?
- Loyal: never desert you in a crisis and are always ready to give you their support. (trung thành)
Ex: Followers electing a king were also proclaiming themselves as his loyal supporters.
- Neurotic: are unreasonably anxious or sensitive. Characteristic of mental disorders (dễ lo âu, cực kì nhạy cảm, có vấn đề về thần kinh)
Ex: Thus, by putting the patient in contact with his phantasy world, psychoanalysis offers a special setting for a patient who is oscillating between the psychotic and the neurotic aspects of himself.
- Open: are always willing to discuss things honestly (cởi mở)
Ex: She’s not open to advice from others
- Practical: are clever at doing things and dealing with difficulties. (thực tế)
Ex: And besides, though he was as practical and realistic as his father, he was also as principled and as headstrong and as stubborn as his mother, so he would follow in his father’s footsteps.
- Prejudiced: often have unfair or unreasonable opinions about people and things, mostly when they don’t know the truth. ( có định kiến)
Ex: As representative of the small community of women in science, the work of these women showed that the search for the best minds in science cannot be limited by a prejudiced view of gender.
- Pushy: are always demanding things from others and trying to get what they want. (gia trưởng, hay ra lệnh)
Ex: She really wanted to know what happened but she didn’t want to seem so obnoxious and pushy about it.
- Ruthless: are usually without remorse, pity or forgiveness. Cruelty (ác độc, tàn nhẫn)
Ex: The ruthless gang leader killed the new recruit for showing up late for a meeting.
- Secretive: like to keep their thoughts and intentions hidden from others. (sống nội tâm, bí ẩn)
Ex: He became highly secretive and delved further and further into the criminal world.
- Shrewd: are very good at making practical judgements, especially when they are to their own advantage. Clever (khôn ngoan)
Ex: He was a very shrewd, very sharp head of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Single-minded: don’t let anything get in the way of their main aim in life. Dedicated (chuyên tâm, chỉ có 1 mục đích)
Ex: And he is convinced his single-minded approach will not just lengthen his career but his life.
- Smug: Highly self-satisfied and seff-confident. So pleased with yourself that you annoy other people ( tự phụ)
Ex: Gregory was smug after he easily eliminated his rival during the kickboxing competition.
- Soft-hearted: are easily moved to pity and very quick to forgive. (dễ cảm động, mềm lòng)
Ex: The policeman was soft-hearted and halved the sum, but immediately blamed me for getting him into trouble with his superiors.
- Spiteful: often try to harm or annoy others, especially in some small way. (khó chịu, hằn học)
Ex: He despised Adamea for it and it had turned him to spiteful hate and deep bitterness.
- Strict: like to be obeyed and are strong believers in discipline. (nghiêm khắc, kỉ luật)
Ex: The boy was jubilant to be with a dad he loved and away from an overly strict mom.
- Talented: have a special natural ability or skill, e.g. in music or painting. (người tài hoa)
Ex: We are on the lookout for the most talented young poets in our region’s schools.
- Two-faced: say one thing to one person, then the opposite thing at another time to someone else.
Ex: I know this makes me sound two-faced but I guess it just goes to show what we would sacrifice when it comes to the people we love and that includes all our morals and standards.