Trạng từ bình thường có rất nhiều tác dụng đặc biệt trong văn nói hoặc văn viết, như làm bài viết liên mạch hơn, trôi chảy hơn, làm phong phú vốn từ, cấu trúc câu, etc.
Các cụm từ dưới đây được sử dụng nhiều rong tiếng anh học thuật sẽ giúp các em nâng tầm bài nói hay bài viết lên và ghi điểm với examiner.
- According to:
- As stated or reported by somebody/something
Example: You have been absent six times according to our records.
- Following, agreeing with or depending on something
Example: The salary will be fixed according to qualifications and experience.
- Ahead of:
- Further forward in space or time than somebody/something; in front of
Example: She walked ahead of him along the corridor.
- Earlier than
Example: I finished several days ahead of the deadline.
- Further advanced than somebody/something, e.g. in a race or competition
Example: The company is working hard to stay one step ahead of the competition.
- Apart from/aside from: Except
Example: Aside from the mess in the garage, this place is looking good.
- As for: On the topic of; regarding
Example: As for Judy, I’m not sure—she never replied to my invitation.
- Owning to: Because of
Example: The game was cancelled owning to torrential rain
- Prior to: Before something
Example: She had been wearing a silk dressing-gown — probably she was taking a bath prior to going out.
- Regardless of: Paying no attention to something/somebody; treating something/somebody as not being important
Example: The amount will be paid to everyone regardless of whether they have children or not.
- Subsequent to: After, following
Example: There have been further developments subsequent to our meeting.
- In the middle of or during something, especially something that causes excitement or fear
Example: He finished his speech amid tremendous applause
- Apropos/Apropos of: Regarding, concerning or related to somebody/something
Example: Apropos our date for lunch, I cannot go.
- Atop: On top of, at the top of
Example: Fruit and vegetable prices rose 1.3 per cent atop a 2 per cent gain last month.
- In or to a lower position than somebody/something; under somebody/something
Example: They found the body buried beneath a pile of leaves.
- Not good enough for somebody
- Next to or at the side of somebody/something
Example: He sat beside her all night.