Áp dụng Idioms sẽ khiến cách nói của chúng ta giống người bản xứ hơn.Cho nên để ngày thứ 7 học tập và làm việc hiệu quả , IELTS TỐ LINH xin chia sẻ cho các bạn những idioms thông dụng IELTS để học dần nha.
- Air one’s dirty laundry in public: vạch áo cho người xem lưng
He is a very private person. If he has a problem in his family he doesn’t want to air his dirty laundry in public
- An arm and a leg: rất đắt đỏ
It cost an arm and a leg to ﬁx the stove
- Ants in one’s pants: lo lắng đứng ngồi không yên
He wasn’t sure if he would be chosen to win the award. He had ants in his pants.
- Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree: con nhà tông không giống lông cũng giống cánh.
He acts just like his father. You know, the apple doesn’t fall far fom the tree.
- Apple of one’s eye: người yêu quý nhất
Although he loves his son, his daughter is the apple of his eye.
- At one’s beck and call: hoàn toàn phục tùng ai
Whenever she calls him, he’s always helping her. He is at her beck and call.
- At the end of one’s rope: hết giới hạn chịu đựng
I’ve tried every which way to ﬁgure out this problem but I can’t. I’m at the end of my rope!
- Back on one’s feet: phục hồi trở lại
Since sales improved, he is doing better and he’s getting back on his feet.
- Back out of: không giữ đúng hẹn, nuốt lời. I made a deal with my friend to help him at work. When I became too busy, I had to back out of
- Bail one out: giúp thoát ra khỏi
Thanks for picking me up when my car broke down. You really bailed me out of a bad situation.
- Bang for the buck: kết quả đầu tư đáng đồng tiền bát gạo
Newspaper advertising works well for us because we get the best bang for the buck.
- Bark up the wrong tree: nhầm to
If he thinks that I’m going to help him paint his house, well he’s barking up the wrong tree.
- Be beside one’s self: không tự kìm chế được, quýnh quáng lên
I was so mad when I heard that she was making up stories about me that I was beside myself
- Beat around the bush: nói vòng vo tam quốc
I didn’t want to hurt his feelings and tell him that he wasn’t selected for the team. So when he asked me if I had any information, I basically beat around the bush.
- Bend over backwards: cố gắng hết sức mình
He’ll bend over backwards to help any of his friends.
- Big shot: nhân vật quan trọng.
Since he was given a promotion, he’s been acting like a big shot.
- Blow it: làm sai
I knew I blew it when I forgot my lines in the play.
- Bone to pick with someone: có chuyện muốn nói (1 cách giận dữ)
I heard that you have rejected my proposal. I’m upset and have a bone to pick with you.
- Bookworm: mọt sách
The library is the perfect place for her to work because she is such a bookworm.
- Bottom line: kết quả tất yếu
He never practiced the piano, so the bottom line is, he can’t play very well.
- Bread and butter: nhu cầu cơ bản của cuộc sống
The voters are worried about bread and butter issues like jobs and taxes.
- Break one’s neck: nai lưng ra làm cật lực
She broke her neck last night trying to ﬁnalize the proposal.
- Break the ice: phá vỡ bầu không khí ngại ngùng ban đầu
He started the meeting by telling a joke. He was hoping the joke would break the ice.
- Break the news: báo tin xấu
She broke the news and told him that she was going to move to another city.
- Breathe a word: tiết lộ
Please don’t breathe a word of this to anyone.
- Bring home the bacon: kiếm tiền nuôi sống gia đình
He stays home and raises the children and she brings home the bacon.
- Buckle down: học hành, làm việc nghiêm túc
Last semester his grades were very low, so this year he decided to buckle down
- Burn a hole in one’s pocket: tiêu hoang phung phí
The bonus he received must have burned a hole in his pocket. He ended up buying a car the next day
- Bury the hatchet: làm hoà
Although we had gotten into a big ﬁght last month, we decided to bury the hatchet and become friends again
- By hook or by crook: bằng mọi giá
Even though we have to ﬂy to get to your wedding, we will be there by hook or by crook.
- By the skin of one’s teeth: suýt tí nữa là
Our team won by the skin of our teeth.
- Call it quits: dừng, kết thúc
I have worked all day and am exhausted. I‘ve decided to call it quits.
- Catch someone red-handed: bắt quả tang
The police came and the bank robber was caught red-handed
- Chip off the old block: con giống ba mẹ như đúc
He reminds me so much of his father. He’s a chip oﬀ the old block.
- Come a long way: rất tiến bộ
He came a long way in his recovery from surgery.
- Come apart at the seams: mất kiểm soát
I almost came apart at the seams when I saw the taxicab hit my car.
- Come hell or high water: dù có chuyện gì xảy ra đi nữa
Come hell or high water, I’ll for sure be at that meeting.
- Come through with flying colors: thành công mỹ mãn
When he graduated with honors, it was evident that he came through with ﬂying color.
- Cook someone’s goose: gây bất lợi cho ai đó
He knew that when he was caught in a lie his goose was cooked.
- Cream of the crop: tốt nhất, đỉnh của đỉnh
This university only accepts the cream of the crop.
- Crocodile tears: nước mắt cá sấu
He cried crocodile tears when he discovered that he couldn’t go to the meeting.
- Cut the mustard: đủ khả năng để làm gì
He wasn’t able to cut the mustard so he had to leave the army aﬅer only one year.
- Cut someone down to size: kéo ai đó về thực tế
John thought he was the smartest student in the class. We needed to cut him down to size.
- Dead-end job: công việc không có tương lai
He decided to go back to college because he realized he had a dead- end job.
- Do the trick: làm mẹo đó sẽ thành công
The recipe needs a little help. I think salt may do the trick.
- Doctor it up: sửa tạm thời
The hem on the dress ripped. I doctored it up with some tape.
- Double-cross: phản bội.
I cannot double-cross my best friend.
- Down in the dumps: buồn
She’s been down in the dumps ever since she lost her job.
- Down the drain: đổ sông đổ biển
I don’t like to throw my money down the drain.
- Down to earth: thực tế
My ﬁancée is friendly and sensible. She’s very down to earth.
- Draw the line: đặt giới hạn cho điều gì đó
He sets an early curfew for his children. He draws the line at 10:00 PM.
- Dressed to kill: mặc đồ đẹp chết người
She was dressed to kill when I saw her at the convention last year.
- Drop in the bucket: chỉ là một giọt nước trong đại dương
The cost of ﬁxing the sink is a drop in the bucket compared to replacing the whole sink.
- Eager beaver: người tham công tiếc việc
Charlie gets to work at 7:00 am everyday. He is an eager beaver.
Chúc các em học tốt <3