1. A miss is as good as a mile: Sai 1 ly đi 1 dặm
Ex: She felt that not achieving aperfect grade point average was as bad as failing all of her classes because, according to her, a miss is as good as amile.
2. Easy come, easy go: Của thiên trả địa
Ex: Ann found twenty dollars in the morning and spent it foolishly at noon. “Easy come, easy go,” she said. John spendshis money as fast as he can earn it. With John it’s easy come, easy go.
3. Spare the rod and spoil the child: Thương cho roi cho vọt
Ex: Jane: How can you allow your little boy to be so rude?
Ellen: It distresses me to punish him.
Jane: lean understand that, but spare the rod and spoil the child.
4. So many men, so many minds: Chín người mười ý
Ex: Working in a group is a challenge to me, because so many men, so many minds.
5. Every man has his mistake: Không một ai là hoàn hảo cả
Ex: Every man has his mistake, don’t criticize him all the time.
6. Man proposes, God deposes: Mưu sự tại nhân thành sự tại thiên
Ex: Jill: Are you really going to be ableto finish writing your novel by the end of the year?
Bob: Man proposes, God disposes.
7. Out of sight, out of mind: Xa mặt cách lòng
Ex: Some people working at home start to feel they are out of sight, out ofmind as far as their boss is concerned.
8. East or West home is best: Dù trong dù đục ao nhà vẫn hơn
Ex: You may think that traveling all the time is fun, buteventually you’ll discover that east or west, home is best.
9. Beat about the bush: Nói vòng vo
Ex: Stop beating around the bush and answer my question
10. With age comes wisdom: Gừng càng già càng cay
Ex: With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone
11. Handsome is as handsome does: Tốt gỗ hơn tốt nước sơn
Ex: He may be homely, but he’s the kindest man I’veever met-handsome is as handsome does.
12. Bad news has wings: Tiếng dữ đồn xa
Ex: Be careful of what you say, because bad news has wings.
13. You get what you pay for: Tiền nào của nấy
Ex: That vacuum cleaner fell apart in a year. I guess you getwhat you pay for, or The volunteers take three times as long with the mailing, but you get what you pay for
14. Diamond cuts diamond: Vỏ quít dày, móng tay nhọn
Ex: Diamond cuts diamond, never be so conceit, or else, you will cry later.
15. A friend in need is a friend in deed: Gian nan mới biết bạn bè là ai
Ex: After I got out of the hospital, Sally checked up on me every day. Her kindness has really shown me that a friend in need is a friend indeed.
16. A picture worth a thousand words: Hình ảnh minh hoạ tốt hơn câu chữ
Ex: In digital marketing, people often use visual content to express the message, because a picture worth a thousand words
17. A good name is better than riches: Tốt danh hơn lành áo
Ex: A good name is better than riches and favor is better than silver or gold.
18. Call a spade a spade: Nói gần nói xa chẳng qua nói thật
Ex:Well, I believe it’s time to call a spade a spade. We are just avoidingthe issue. Let’s call a spade a spade. The man is a liar.
19. Live on the fat of the land: Ngồi mát ăn bát vàng
Ex: I fantasized about buying a farm and living off the fatof the land.
20. When a blood sheds, the heart aches: Máu chảy ruột mềm
Ex: When a blood sheds, the heart aches. Everyone in the family should care for each other through every time and everywhere